It is important to have a pavement management plan in place to protect your asphalt and give it a longer life. As pavement ages, repairs will become necessary in order to keep it looking good and working well – infrared asphalt patching is an efficient, cost-effective method that is the best choice in pavement management for all your asphalt patching needs.
What is Infrared Asphalt Patching?
Infrared asphalt patching is a repair technique that utilizes infrared radiation to increase the malleability of your currently existing asphalt pavement surface. Asphalt is heated and reworked on site, then combined with new asphalt to resurface a damaged area. This is a perfect solution for a low-cost yet highly effective repair of roads, driveways, and walkways. It is easy, quick, and outperforms other methods of repair.
How does infrared asphalt patching work?
Infrared asphalt patching revolves around working with the existing, compromised asphalt that is in need of repair in tandem with new and compacted asphalt. The process includes:
- The treatment area is cleaned of debris and moisture, ensuring a perfect environment for the infrared process.
- An infrared pavement heater generates infrared radiation that softens the existing asphalt in the area that needs to be patched. The area is heated for 5-10 minutes, which can vary according to the time of year, outside temperature, amount of existing asphalt, and the amount of damage.
- After the area is heated, the malleable asphalt is raked while workers remove any loose, failed asphalt.
- A piece of equipment called an Infrared Reclaimer is stored on-site with new asphalt material prepared and heated for the new patch.
- A special rejuvenating mixture is added to the existing asphalt that has been heated, adding back in oils that had been lost through age and oxidation.
- New asphalt from the Reclaimer is added and mixed into the new patch. Workers grade the patch to the proper level and shape.
- After mixing and application of the new asphalt, the area is compacted with roller equipment or heavy plating to finish a seamless patch.
What are the benefits of infrared asphalt patching?
There are many benefits to infrared asphalt patching, including:
- Seamless result preventing water from getting into cracks
- No cutting, chopping, chiseling, or sawing of existing material
- Reuse of existing material making it a cost-effective solution
- Professional finish
- Applicable to residential and commercial environments
Infrared asphalt patching uses infrared rays that allow deep penetration asphalt repair and reclaiming without causing burning, scaling, or separation of the asphalt from the aggregate.
Infrared Asphalt Patching Outperforms Other Methods
Infrared asphalt patching outperforms other methods due to its simplicity and effectiveness. By recycling and reusing existing materials, the result is less expensive as well as more environmentally friendly by reducing waste. Furthermore, it reduces the cost and impact of increased fuel and labor required for manufacturing and transporting new asphalt in mass.
This method is also superior to complete road replacement as it is much less disruptive. It won’t disrupt underground infrastructure like electricity, water, and internet and will be completed in a short period of time, allowing traffic to resume after about 30 minutes.
Does Infrared Asphalt Patching Fix Everything?
While infrared asphalt patching is a fantastic, immediate solution for pavement failure, it is not permanent. This is specifically the case if the damage is not just surface level but structural. If there is a structural problem underlying the pavement, the repair will likely fail again as the platform continues to degrade.
When to use Infrared Asphalt Patching
One of the best aspects of infrared asphalt patching is that it can be done all year round — from the intense heat of summer to the freezing cold of winter — this method of pavement repair is consistently reliable and always viable.
Asphalt repair costs normally shoot up during the winter season due to the increased amount of machinery and equipment required to keep materials at the correct temperature. Fortunately, infrared asphalt patching negates this entirely and is there for you when you need it at no additional charge.
Infrared Asphalt Patching is the Perfect Solution
When it comes to pavement management, infrared asphalt patching is by far the best solution out there. This method will save you time, money, and stress, and the experts at the Asphalt Doctors are your team of specialists that will get the job done. Check out our customer testimonials and contact us today for questions, advice, and support for all your asphalt needs.