Preparing an outdoor surface that can stand up to the harsh Colorado elements can be a challenging undertaking, but technology has offered us a number of innovative solutions to overcome this. Asphalt seal coating is one of the most common methods for protecting driveways, walkways, and parking lots, and it’s likely only going to continue growing in popularity.
But what is asphalt seal coating, and how does it benefit you? Here’s a deep dive into everything you need to know from the experts at Asphalt Doctors.
What is Asphalt Seal Coating?
Asphalt seal coating is an inexpensive process that helps to extend the lifespan of underlying hard surface material such as concrete or asphalt. This liquid coating is rolled or painted over the area, and once allowed to cure, it effectively seals (hence the name) the material from potential exterior damage. It comes in two forms: Coal Tar Emulsion and Asphalt Emulsion.
Seal coating is the most common solution to small damage, such as cracks or holes caused by freezing temperatures and frequent traffic. It also helps protect the underlying surface from excessive oxidation, prevents damage from spreading to other areas in the underlying structure, and defends against air, water, oil, gas, salt, chemicals, and ultraviolet rays.
It is a thoroughly effective and highly efficient method that offers protection and resiliency to surfaces to remain in good condition, even in extreme weather conditions.
What is Seal Coating Made Of?
As previously discussed, asphalt seal coating comes in two primary forms: Coal Tar and Asphalt Emulsion.
Coal Tar seal coating comprises a thick black liquid, a byproduct of bituminous coal. It is made of thousands of chemicals and is different molecularly than asphalt. Coal Tar seal coating is then created by mixing the bituminous coal byproduct with inert fillers, water, and emulsifying agents.
Asphalt Emulsion seal coating is made of asphalt, water, and a small amount of emulsifying agents.
Coal Tar is the industry’s most commonly used asphalt seal coating.
What is the Process of Asphalt Seal Coating?
Every asphalt company has a different asphalt seal coating process, but at Asphalt Doctors, our process includes the following:
- Protection. We install cones and barricades to protect nearby human and animal life and traffic passing by.
- Clean and Edging. Our team edges the perimeter of the asphalt being treated and trims down any plant life that has grown between cracks. We then conduct deep cleaning of the area with an industrial blower and power sweep.
- Oil Stains. Oil stains and spots are treated with a primer to encourage effective adhesion of the chosen sealer.
- Seal Coat. Apply a first coat, then let dry before applying a thicker coat.
- Repaint Lines. If work is being conducted in a parking lot, parking spot lines will be repainted upon the drying of the second layer.
- Clean and Edges (part 2). Our team cleans the edges of the work site.
- Customer Evaluation. Once all work is complete, we conduct a walk-through with our customers to ensure that our finished product meets all standards of quality and expectations.
- Open Site. Cones and barricades are removed and opened for public access.
Seal coating is completed during the spring, summer, and autumn – temperatures of at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit are required.
Asphalt Seal Coating vs. Asphalt Pavement
Various other methods exist for installing asphalt or conducting an asphalt surface repair. One of the most common, alongside seal coating, is asphalt paving. This is a holistic renewal and new installation of asphalt, and it can be applied directly to materials such as concrete, gravel, or even existing asphalt.
Other methods for conducting an asphalt repair include:
Colorado Asphalt Seal Coating
Asphalt seal coating effectively and efficiently protects outdoor surfaces such as roads, walkways, and parking lots. This extremely quick process creates resistance to all types of liquids, chemicals, and even UV radiation so that your surfaces have longer lifetimes, even after incurring damage.
If you’re considering asphalt seal coating or any other type of asphalt solution for your project, be sure to contact the experts at Asphalt Doctors – we are committed to quality, ethics, service, and efficiency. Give our team a call today!